Christmas time can be an exciting, yet stressful time of year. If you’re like most people, your days will be filled with cooking, shopping, cleaning, and other holiday activities to make sure that you’re ready for the big day on December 25th. However, another important aspect of the holidays—your home—can easily be forgotten if you don’t take the proper precautions! Follow these 8 tips from Sponge & Sparkle on how to get your home ready for Christmas!
1) Deck the Halls
‘Tis the season to deck the halls! But before you can get started on your holiday decorating, there are a few things you need to do to prep your home. Here’s a step-by-step guide to getting your house ready for all the festive fun.
1. Start with a plan. What kind of look are you going for? Traditional? Whimsical? Sleek and modern? Knowing what style you want will help you make decisions about which decorations to use.
2. Give yourself a budget. Decorating for Christmas can get expensive, so it’s important to set a budget and stick to it. Once you know how much you’re willing to spend, you can start shopping around for decorations.
3. Choose a color scheme.
2) Festive Crafts
A good way to get in the Christmas spirit is with festive crafts. These make great decor for personal use and also great gifts. Check out a few of our favorite crafts!
1. Make a paper chain garland to decorate your tree or mantle. All you need is some construction paper, scissors, and glue.
2. Cut out snowflakes from white paper and string them up in your windows.
3. Knit or crochet a festive scarf or hat to wear or give as a gift.
4. Paint a holiday-themed picture to hang on your wall or give as a gift.
5. Make homemade cards using construction paper, stamps, and markers.
6. Bake cookies or other holiday treats to enjoy or give as gifts.
3) Brighten Up Curtains
Nothing says Christmas like a brightly lit living room. If you want to give your home an instant holiday makeover, start by adding some festive cheer to your windows. New curtains are an easy way to do this, and they don’t have to be expensive. You can find plenty of affordable options at your local home store or online. Just make sure to measure your windows before you shop so you know what size curtains you need.
Look for golds, wintery whites, or whatever will fit your theme! You can also add light strands behind your curtains or on the rods.
4) Holiday Plants and Greenery
One of the best ways to get your home feeling festive is to add some holiday plants and greenery. Poinsettias are a classic Christmas plant, and they come in a variety of colors. You can also go for a more traditional look with holly or evergreens. If you want something a little different, try amaryllis or paperwhite narcissus. No matter what you choose, make sure to keep your plants healthy by watering them regularly and giving them plenty of sunlight.
Of course, greenery also includes a nice Christmas tree from your local farm. You can also opt for a reusable alternative. Either way, decorate with lights, ornaments, and love!
5) Light Up the Night
Christmas is a time of year when people love to string up lights. You can wrap your trees in them, drape them across the eaves of your roof, and even put them in your windows. There are also fireplaces you can start up and candles in all the warm, wintery scents that will help brighten up your home. Check out your local home and decor stores for new LED lights and unique finds to help you light up the night!
6) Schedule a Deep Cleaning
No one wants to welcome the holidays with a cluttered, messy house. Give yourself a head start by scheduling a deep cleaning with Sponge & Sparkle Cleaning before the decorating and entertaining begins. We’ll do the cleaning, so you can enjoy the holidays to the fullest!
Need a home cleaning before Christmas or the holiday season? You know who to call!
Sponge & Sparkle values consistent, quality service and trustworthy business practices. You can have peace of mind that your home will be well taken care of with us. If you reside in Atlanta, Georgia, or nearby areas, contact us today at (404) 633-9652 to sparkle up your living space. Our cleaners will leave it dazzling! Meanwhile, you and your loved ones can enjoy the observances and holiday season this winter with fewer chores